Careers with PWA
Apply for a job
Internships in Public Works

PWA is looking for innovative, creative and committed individuals who will continuously challenge themselves to do the best job possible for the citizens of Ventura County.

Civil Engineering

Civil engineers plan and design public works projects, including flood control facilities, water and wastewater infrastructures, roads and other public facilities. A junior engineer needs a Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or equivalent. Registration as a Civil Engineer is required to be an associate engineer or a management engineer.

Fiscal and Clerical Services

There are a number of accounting and clerical positions in the Public Works Agency ranging from professional accountants who need a Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business or related field, and professional accounting experience, to entry-level clerical personnel with some office clerical work experience and knowledge of word processing and/or spreadsheets.

Labor and Maintenance

Maintenance personnel repair and maintain flood control facilities, roadways and water distribution and collection systems. Entry level positions require no experience but an ability to perform heavy work while exposed to unfavorable environmental conditions is necessary. Opportunities for advancement to equipment operator and crew leaders are available.


PWA employs engineering and survey technicians, inspectors, and water resources and technical specialists. Depending on the position, experience or education in construction, natural or environmental sciences, engineering, geographic information systems or related fields is required.

Environmental Management

Employees in environmental management research, analyze and interpret environmental programs and objectives. Entry-level positions require a Bachelor’s degree in planning, environmental sciences, engineering, public administration, communications or a related field. Advancement opportunities exist, depending on education and experience.

800 S. Victoria Ave, L #1600
Ventura, CA 93009
Phone: 805.654.5129
Kathryn Pierce
Phone: 805.654.2405
Personnel Office for
Public Works Agency

To view listing of current county recruitments, click here:


We want to educate students on the different facets of public works as a way to showcase what the Agency does, types of jobs available, and the skill set and educational requirements needed to pursue public works careers.  

There are three levels of paid internships - Student Worker I, Student Worker II and Student Worker III. To view the student worker job descriptions and qualifications click here and enter student worker in the search box. Interested students can apply by filling out an application and submitting it to the Public Works Agency Personnel Office located on the 3rd floor in the Hall of Administration, 800 South Victoria Avenue, Ventura CA 93009-1600. Please note that Student Worker applications are not accepted on-line.

Please note that available internships are based on Agency needs and budgetary considerations.