County Surveyor - Frequently Asked Questions

Surveyor Home Subdivision Map Process Certificate of Compliance  Map Checking Services
  Research Land Records Online Frequently Asked Questions Downloads

Q) How do I find a Land Surveyor?

A) To locate a land surveyor you can start by looking in your local telephone directory, searching the Internet, or contacting engineering and land surveying societies (see Resources, P. 21 of the Consumer Guide to Professional Engineers and Professional Land Surveyors or California Land Surveyors Association, Find a Surveyor).  The State Board website is a great source of information when researching California-licensed engineers or land surveyors in your city or county (however, like the County Surveyor, the Board is not able to provide recommendations or referrals).  You can verify that the professional is currently and properly licensed and find out if there have been any complaints or disciplinary actions taken against the person’s license (Please see Disclosure Policy, page 24 of the Consumer Guide.)

When interviewing land surveyors ask for local references on similar projects and compare qualifications and experience. Also, ask if they have previous experience working with your local planning department, public works department, municipal utility district, or County Surveyor’s Office.

Q) Does the County Surveyor’s Office perform surveys for the general public?

A) No, the County Surveyor’s Office only performs surveys on County owned land, including County road and flood control channel rights-of-way.

Q) Who do I call for information about the survey crew or vehicle in my neighborhood?

A) If it is a County survey vehicle or crew you may contact Jose Quiray of the County Field Survey Section at (805) 654-2043.

Q) Who do I call if I am on a construction site and realize that a survey monument is in danger of being disturbed or destroyed?

A) Please call Jose Quiray of the County Field Survey Section at (805) 654-2043.

Q) Can I get a copy of my Subdivision Map?

A) Copies of Tract and Parcel Maps are available at our Public Counter.The public counter contact information and office hours are located on the left-hand navigation bar.

Q) Do you have maps and other records available online?

A) Yes, Tract Maps (Miscellaneous Records), Parcel Maps, Records of Survey and Corner Records are now available for viewing and download through County View. Instructions for locating these records using County View are here.

Q) Can you give me information about all of the easements that cross my property?

A) No.  If your property is a lot in a subdivision we can provide a copy of the recorded subdivision map which will show easements created by that map and other easements affecting the property at that time; however, there is no reason to assume that other easements have not been created since.  A title company guarantee policy is the best source of disclosing things such as easements affecting a particular property.

Q) How do I split my property?

A) A subdivision, also known as a “lot split,” is the legal division of any lot into two or more lots, for the purpose of sale, lease, or financing, now or in the future. Land divisions are regulated by the California Subdivision Map Act and the Ventura County Subdivision Ordinance.

Subdividing land can be a complex and costly process. Before you submit a subdivision application, consult with appropriate local authorities of Ventura County to avoid unnecessary or wasted expenditures. You may request a pre-application review with the Planning Division. When inquiring about a specific property, please be prepared to provide the Assessor Parcel Number (APN) and property address, as this information will be necessary to assist you. Click here to learn more about the pre-application review.

For more information on the subdivision application process, please review the public brochure How Can I Split My Lot? or contact the Discretionary Permit Coordinator at (805) 654-3635.

Q) What is the procedure for the initial submittal of a Subdivision Map (Tract Map or Parcel map) to Public Works?

A) The map package is submitted to the County Surveyor's Office where it is logged in and deposit fees are collected. For a checklist of fees and documents required to be included with the initial submittal of a Tract or Parcel Map see the Tract Map/Parcel Map Checklist. The map package is then reviewed to ensure that all necessary reference materials are included; i.e. title report, traverse closures, underlying recorded maps, tie notes, deeds, and official records. After the completeness of the map package has been verified it is placed in a queue determined by the date of its receipt where it remains until it reaches the top of the queue and is assigned to an available map checker.  The map checker will examined the map for boundary determination, mapping standards, technical correctness, and compliance with the Subdivision Map Act and local ordinances.  After the map checker’s examination is complete the map checker will write a correction letter and submit it for review by the County Surveyor or an official designee.  Should the County Surveyor deem corrections necessary the map package will be returned to the applicant for corrections and re-submittal.

Q) Who do I contact for map status?

A) Call Dan Walsh at (805) 654-2942 for status updates on your map.

Q) What are the Public Counter hours of service? Phone number? Location?

A) The Public Counter is open 7:30am to 4:30pm from Monday through Friday. You may contact our public counter staff at (805) 654-2068. The public counter is located in the County Government Center’s Hall of Administration Building, at the top of the escalator.

Q) I am a land surveyor with a project in Ventura County.  Will you do the research I need and send it (fax it, e-mail it) to me?

A) No.  You must come in and do the research yourself.  You are in responsible charge of your map, including research.

Q) Do you issue tract and parcel map numbers?

A) Yes, we issue tract numbers for the entire county, and parcel map numbers for the unincorporated areas, and for Santa Paula.  For parcel maps in other cities, obtain the number from the city.